Home & Wellbeing

What do Moms Really Want for Mother’s day? How to get her the prefect gift

With mother’s day around the corner, it’s time to focus on that one special person who always seems to put everyone’s interest first as summarized in these words by Tenneva Jordan, “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”

What does she really want for Mother’s Day and how can you make this day truly memorable for her?

Plum District (www.plumdistrict.com), a site for moms, by moms, recently released its findings of a survey carried out of over 1 million mom subscribers across the United States on what Mom really wants on Mother’s Day.

They found that:

  • 75 percent of the mothers claim they would prefer a handmade card over a necklace from Tiffany & Co.
  • Two thirds prefer to not pick out their own gift.
  • 54 percent would choose to spend quality time with their own mother versus 46 percent who would have her babysit the kids

“Some of the things we discovered in our survey were pretty surprising to us, like the fact that only 56 percent of husbands/significant others always remember Mother’s Day,” says Megan Gardner, CEO of Plum District. “What didn’t surprise us is that at the end of the day, moms might crave some ‘me’ time, but their families will always rank first.”

What sort of “me” time is Mom after? According to the survey, eight out of ten moms would choose to sleep in versus a sunrise breakfast with the kids; One third of moms secretly want the day to themselves; 52 percent would use an hour to themselves for a massage, while the other 48 percent would go on a bike ride.

While not all moms are created the same, mother’s day is all about love and appreciation. We put together a few gift-hunting ideas for you for this special season:

  • A day of relaxation. Mom will not mind a day off, away from her duties. How about the spa! She is on her feet all year round, making sure the home is functional and filled with love; on her toes supervising homework, and being soccer mom; and on her knees cleaning, and picking up after everyone. Treating her to day at the spa for a massage, manicure and pedicure and an all round relaxing experience will truly be appreciated. Or maybe a quiet lunch or dinner at her favorite restaurant with some VIP service?
  • Luxurious items like candles, a home spa treatment or a fluffy throw rank top on the list for moms who are into their homes. Candles are generally soothing and relaxing; the calming effect of their aromas will leave mom feeling good everyday. Adding to her candle collection is just another reason she’ll be excited long after mother’s day. How about home spa items she can soak in and soak off long stressful day?! Bath salts, body scrubs, soaps, bath and body oils are a simple way to relax and pamper herself. A nice colorful throw reminds her of new things and fresh beginnings and awakens her senses to the beauty around her. Why not throw in a box of irresistible chocolates she can indulge in?
  • A personalized gift is a fantastic way to celebrate this day. Be it a card with a handwritten message of how you really feel about her, a piece of jewelry with her name on it, a picture collection of special times or even a book with a nice message in it rank at the top of warm and memorable mother day gifts. Hand crafted gifts make mom feel she is worth your time and effort.
  • Plants and greenery. Mothers are generally natural nurturers. She will love the colors of a beautiful plant, the scent it emanates and the natural life it adds to her environment. A pretty indoor plant for the window sill, a hallway or even in her bedroom immediately adds cheer around her. Mom will love tending to it and watching it grow.

Every mother is different, knowing what she enjoys and likes should be the main guide for this mother’s day in the celebration and appreciation of her role. The perfect gift for her is simply your love. It is priceless.


Ongoing Dunia discussion

Should children (ages 5-12) be given an allowance?

Loading ... Loading ...



Be a fan of Dunia on FACEBOOK



Participate in a Dunia POLL



Join our mailing list for your free monthly newsletter

Pin It